On 7th December 2018, we held our 8th Winter Pimm’s Winter Networking event, with one big difference – this was the first year it rained!
But that didn’t stop our lovey guests from turning up, our wonderful partners from pitching up to serve coffee, hot food and sell festive gifts and of course the brilliant team from Surrey Wildlife Trust to oversee the event and make sure we were all chopping down the right trees!
By the time everyone had arrived, the rain had stopped and the sun was starting to come out. And after a safety briefing from Ranger Ben…
…everyone set out to find and chop down the Christmas tree they wanted to take home…
Why this work is important
The land at Barossa is covered in non-indigenous Scots Pine, which is really harmful to the heath land habitat below it. The lowland heath is an extremely rare habitat, that is home to a variety of protected species, that simply cannot survive anywhere else. So the work everyone did on the day was vital.
Lunch was provided by the lovely team at Surrey Markets – Cookie’s Kitchen offering Caribbean food and Tillingbourne Farm cooking up delicious sausages.
After lunch everyone went back out to help the rangers cut down as many trees as possible to clear the heath land.
Orange Ribbon Prizes
Some lucky guests found orange ribbons tied to the trees and won a prize! Well done to our lucky winners who received:
- A Spa Day for 2 at Foxhills – courtesy of Surrey Chambers
- 1 year’s Surrey Wildlife Trust membership – courtesy of Surrey Wildlife Trust
- Hedgehog adoption pack – courtesy of Surrey Wildlife Trust
- 1 x 50 minute massages – courtesy of The Massage Company
- A festive hamper – courtesy of Collectively Camberley
- A bottle of prosecco OR 2 bottles of house wine – courtesy of The Hoxon
- Cope Glass Gift Set – courtesy of Silent Pool
- Bottle of Login Gin – courtesy of projectfive
A big thank you…
We want to say a huge thank you to Surrey Wildlife Trust for looking after us that day, to our partners Collectively Camberley, Surrey Chambers, Surrey Markets, Wild About Coffee, Ascot Ales, JF & Trafalgar Marquees, Silent Pool Distillery, Yes Events and of course everyone that came on the day – we really couldn’t have done it without you!